Friday, January 9, 2009

Jacksons' first flood!!!

Western Washington has been flooding since Wednesday.  We've been stuck at home since then.  Wednesday and Thursday we could get to Elma (5 minutes away), but now we are stuck at our house and all the roads around us are officially flooded.  Luckily, our house is not flooded at all because we are sort of on a hill.  Otherwise, when we get to the bottom of our hill, you can pretty much only see water in every direction with trees coming out of it.  We went for a walk today down our street (since no cars can come on it), and were astounded by the amount of water.  Since there is no land anywhere, all the rodents are in the trees, and they seemed to be all over the streets.  In some of our pictures, there is a speed limit sign that you can barely see out of the water.  Our river, the Chehalis, crested (got to its highest) today, so hopefully we should be able to drive again by Sunday.  The force of the water caused the main bridge that we drive over to get to Elma to crack, so even when the flooding goes down, I won't be able to get to town without a 15-20 minute drive, so that's a bummer.  We have had a great time learning about the floods and watching in awe the power of Mother Nature.  When I was 14 or so, my dad wouldn't let me cut across Lake Yellowstone to get to our campsite and made me paddle all the way around the lake's perimeter because, as he said, we just don't mess with the weather.  Well, I'm learning that all over again!  

6 comments:

  1. Julie! Those pictures are crazy! Hope you have your food storage ready :) But seriously, hope you guys are safe and taken care of and the town is surviving without their doctor. Hope you update frequently ... I love pics of my niece and nephews!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I hope you guys are okay. I hope you have enough food storage to get you by (or maybe you'll know better what you need after this). Austin's grandma in Iowa has really bad floods like this in the springtime...very similar in the pictures. I'm sure you are having a lot of fun family times together. I'll anticipate more pictures. Thanks for the link to your blog...way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a LOT OF WATER! I have been thinking of you when I hear stories on the radio, so it's great to have images and to know that you guys are OK. Don't let the kids play with rodents (except maybe bunnies).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the update! We are thinking of you guys. Hope the hill holds up for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. BTW Rodents in trees have been known to attack children - or is that fall-on? Just don't let the kids go out covered in yogurt, or chocolate. And you were worried about coyotes...you've been very brave here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Julie,

    That's crazy, I had no idea you guys were in the middle of all that. Hopefully you have what you need until you can get out. I'm sure you're getting very creative on how to spend all your time at home. We'll be thinking about you. Good Luck!
    Audrey

    ReplyDelete